Fri Sep 17 2010 by MarkP
I recently had the time to upgrade this site as follows:
- Targets the .NET 4.0 Framework
- Upgraded to use ASP.NET MVC 2
- The project files and source code were upgraded from Visual Studio 2008 to 2010
- Source control was moved from Subversion to Git and the repository is now hosted on GitHub
- Castle Windsor was upgraded to the current release
In general the upgrade was quite painless with Visual Studio 2010's update wizard. Moving from Subversion to Git was fairly straightforward and there are many tools out there to assist with this task.
I decided to use Git due to the fact I could host the source code on GitHub and also due to the improvements made to Git Extensions for Visual Studio, which simplified the process of using Git in the Visual Studio IDE. I heard a lot of good things about Git and have been very impressed since using it on another project.
Upgrading the site will allow me to learn the new features of C# 4.0 and also get to grip with ASP.NET MVC 2, which is long overdue.